November 27, 2012

Its Almost Like Christmas

Every other Tuesday we get to pick up our CSA share.  Neither of us had participated in a CSA before, but considering how much cooking we do, and our affinity for trying new things, we thought we'd give it a shot.  I'd had my eye on the Farm Bus for a little while, mostly because their drops are at Eastern Market, within walking distance of my apartment, but when I was cooking for 1, it didn't seem like a viable option.  Now that I had another stomach on board, it made sense to give it a try.  We opted for the produce and meat shares, and there is always an abundance of food.

As much as I try to keep it a surprise, I can't help but open the email that tells us what we'll be picking up that night.  But it doesn't just stop at reading the email.  Then I start to think about what we can make, and how we'll utilize all the food we'll be getting.  Here's what today's share brought us...
The fun part about the food shares is getting to try different foods you wouldn't normally buy.  A couple weeks ago we were given some rutabaga, and this week we got some creasy greens.  Not greasy greens...creasy greens.  I hadn't even heard of these greens before, but with a little help from the interwebs, I learned their similar to watercress, with a peppery taste like arugula.  Pulled off their stems, they made a delicious salad with some shaved pecorino and some homemade Italian dressing.

We have some ideas in the works for this week, so stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see what's cookin'. Making me hungry just thinking about it! Bon Appetit

    ReplyDelete